Experts On The Wire is a weekly SEO & Digital Marketing podcast hosted by Dan Shure. This show is for the curious and passionate – those that want to discover new trends, tactics, tools, people and businesses doing remarkable work in the world of Digital Marketing.TAGS:
This is the first of three episodes recorded at TechSEO Boost 2018! I sat down with Aysun Akarsu to chat about:
* How to optimizing your site architecture and crawl paths for better rankings
* Does ‘crawl budget’ actually exist (even though Google says it doesn’t)?
* How to set up a crawl, and what data to pull into your crawl analysis for better insights
* The free common crawl web graph dataset and what she was surprised to learn about backlinks on the web
* What universities can’t teach you abo...
It’s not often we get to learn from experienced in-house SEOs but today’s guest is Jackie Chu, formerly an in-house SEO at Square and now the SEO Lead at Uber.
* How Square Ranked For “POS System”
* Internal Linking Tips
* How to use SEO as a Product Function
* How Facebook Ads Can Help SEO
* App Store Optimization Tips (a first on Experts!)
* And tons more… you don’t want to miss this!
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who s...
We did it! One hundred episodes of Experts on the Wire.
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who share content in an industry, and tons more (like alerts to keep an eye on your competitor’s links). Listen to the show for a special code to get 30% off BuzzSumo for 3 months. Also, check out Brian Dean’s Definitive Guide to BuzzSumo.
Related Episodes You Might Like
* Episode ONE of Experts w/Marie Haynes on Google Penalties
On today’s show!
* The rebirth of SEO
* Why do clients buy SEO without being bought in?
* What SEOs can learn from the world of advertising
* Communicating up the authority chain inside companies
* Thinking of SEO projects like a product team
* Estimating the ROI of SEO projects
* What to do when you’re a company like Coke and you don’t need SEO traffic to sell things
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who share content in an industry, and ...
This is a special episode of Experts in a few ways. For one, Gaetano shares for the first time how SEO played a role in the just announced acquisition of Salehacker. And we get really into the details on his growth strategy that exploded their traffic 426% in 16 months.
Second – this was an experimental on-location episode – recorded in person in Boston while sipping espresso. See the video below!
* Growing Salehacker to 19,000 monthly visits to 100,000+ monthly visit in 16 months
* What he did ...
The second we started this interview I knew it was going to be one for the history books! Marty is a creative, imaginative, strategic thinker AND technical in how he understands data, and the intersection of people with search engines – top it off with years of experience helping companies like Airbnb, Amazon, Square and more with his company Aimclear
Some of the topics we discussed!
* The value of BRAND searches as “lakefront property”
* Marketing “unknown unknown” disruptive products
If you’re an SEO Consultant (or work with one) maybe you struggle with things like:
* charging project vs hourly
* how much to charge
* dealing with difficult clients
* how to acquire clients and sell SEO
* problems with “snake oil” SEO selling
* how to stand out in the SEO industry
* time management
* how to grow from a solo consultant into scaling an agency
Marie and I chatted about these struggles and much more on today’s show.
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with conten...
When you think about it, audio is the most untapped content-type for Google (and search in general). They’ve practically mastered and dominate every other form – from text to video, maps, news, images.
But Google recently announced their plans to make audio a ‘first class citizen’ in search – from podcasts to any audio in your own content – I believe we’re all going have to get great at audio SEO.
Listen to this episode to find out what we know now (straight from Google) and how to prepare for ...
In this episode!
* How Jamie decides what products to index (on a 4+ million product site)
* Metrics the technical SEO team at Arrow.com cares about
* Optimizing crawl efficiency and click depth on a large site
* How to run internal crawls on a 10m+ page site
* Using custom XML sitemaps
* How to find and fix re-direct chains
* YOUR questions from Twitter answered
* And tons more…
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who share content in an ind...
I love this strategy in this week’s episode because it takes advantage of “sawdust” – the stuff leftover from something else, but it can be USED to provide value and get you links in return.
And yes, this is a supplementary link acquisition strategy – not to necessarily replace your primary link acquisition – but you could take this concept and take it even further, which we chat about throughout the interview.
After listening to this show, you’ll know how to set up your own free stock photo li...
In today’s episode!
* What ‘link equity’ might mean in a mobile-first index world
* Why you don’t need a URL to be indexed anymore
* Language & Keyword Indexing vs Entity Indexing
* What chatbots have to do with voice search
* Google Actions and Google Assistant
* Listeners questions answered (PWA’s, AMP, Google Posts, Mobile Site Speed)
* Why the entire SEO industry is excited about the new Heads of Google Search
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, fi...
When traffic drop issues started hitting my inbox early 2017 – I was perplexed. These weren’t the typical link penalties, thin content or panda algo issues.
There was something different going on here. By March/April of 2017 I’d seen enough of these issues, and along with other SEOs started connecting the dots.
In June I then published a 10-minute little episode called “The Email“. In this episode, it describes a different sort of SEO problem. A new breed of SEO which relates more to UX, usabi...
I read AJ’s recent article “what I learned in 2017”. In it, he mentioned not being very excited about the SEO content being published these days. I wanted to find out why. I did, but we also ended up chatting about his unique view on recent Google updates (and why they were NOT ‘content quality’ updates), how to optimize for intent… and lots more including:
* Active intent vs passive intent and how to optimize for both
* Why Google’s move beyond traditional algorithms matters to SEOs
* A lot Goo...
In this episode:
* The problem with calling metrics like word count, time to first byte “ranking factors”
* Why Jenny believes CTR is NOT a significant ranking factor
* How to stay focused on what matters in the noisy SEO industry
* How to think through and solve your own SEO problems
* Pros and (mostly) cons of AMP
* A tip for improving product pages, and how to get buy-in
* Managing scope creep as an SEO consultant
Have you ever wondered if all of these SEO Ranking Factor studies are actually usefu...
Have you ever seen a content strategy fail to perform because things don’t get executed? It can be frustrating to have the best SEO plan, content plan or marketing plan – only to have it fall short because things just don’t get done.
In today’s episode, my guest Marijana Kostelac is going to teach us how to audit and improve upon your content creation process – whether you’re a solo content creator or working in a team. We also chat a little about how to earn conversions with your content, pop...
I couldn’t fit every topic we talked about in the title – here are some highlights from this episode!
* We debate the pros and cons of voice search data in Search Console
* How brands and business can use Alexa Skills
* Advanced strategies for duplicate content identification and resolution
* The importance of web architecture and understanding information retrieval
* Why AMP is a huge opportunity for serving developing countries
* The importance of empathy and a great trick in Chrome to cultivate ...
On today’s show!
* What it’s like working with big clients like VW and Proctor and Gamble
* Getting buy-in from all the departments on SEO
* Leveraging automation and tools to collect and process data
* Link building at scale
* The impact of machine learning on rankings
* The most important types of backlinks to focus on
* The problems with ranking factor studies
* How to stand out in the world of SEO
* And… Paul answers YOUR question from Twitter
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for comi...
Today – I chat will Paula Keller French about her top eight lessons learned doing SEO for eight years. Listen now for some stories of mistakes to avoid, and SEO tips backed by almost a decade of experience! I especially liked her tips about client retention towards the end, so be sure to stay tuned in for those! In addition to being Director of Sales and Marketing at Search Influence, Paula has also spoken at many conferences such as MozCon Local and Pubcon.
Hat tip to Dana DiTomaso for recomm...
On today’s show!
* The problem’s with bounce rate
* Tracking content like a product
* Why most people don’t understand what a session is
* The myth of the ‘non-technical’ marketer
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who share content in an industry, and tons more (like alerts to keep an eye on your competitor’s links). Also, check out their new Question Analyzer Tool (formally Bloomberry – just launched within BuzzSumo!) Listen to...
For some reason, it’s a struggle to find In-House SEOs to share their stories, lessons and SEO strategies.
Today’s show is the rare exception.
Kevin Indig runs technical SEO at Atlassian – a company responsible for tools like Trello, Jira, Confluence and more. Atlassian.com has a domain authority of 93. There are hundreds of thousands of URLs across several domains in the Atlassian family.
So … technical SEO is a really big deal.
Kevin went in-depth on topics such as:
* How they use log file analy...